Sunday, January 24, 2010

In honor of the Viking's game today, I'm going to do this post in yellow lettering. Purple is officially cooler, but it wouldn't really show up against my background, so yellow it is! GO VIKES!

Having said that, I will now move on to the actual subject of this post.

Has it ever just struck you how much you truly have and the stark contrast between the living conditions of the western world and the rest of the world? It happens to me all the time. Take today, for instance. I went to Perkins with Italian Roomy. We both got big ol' sandwiches with a heaping side of fries. I finished my sandwich, but I was too full to eat all of the fries. There's no reason to force feed myself, so I just threw the rest away. And that's when it hit me. I have so much that I throw perfectly good things away.

Anyway, it's something that comes to my mind a lot. I have experienced American "poverty." But in comparison with the rest of the world, our poverty is so rich. Don't get me wrong, I'm not belittling people's situations. There are a lot of Americans who are genuinely struggling. But our struggles rarely include painful hunger or lack of basic necessities. I guess it's this whole disaster that's happening in Haiti that's bringing it back into my mind. There are two million people who have lost everything. It's hard to imagine.

What do you love about your life? What is your biggest material blessing? What is your smallest?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails