Friday, July 31, 2009

odds and ends

Here I am, 9:24 pm central, on a Friday night... at work! I know, it stinks. I should really be at a "Welcome Home" party for my friend's husband, who just returned from 6 months of officer training with the reserves. But NO-O-O-O-O-O, I am at work. And worse, because I volunteered!

Yeah, that was about 10 days ago. I knew the party was at the end of July, but honestly, I didn't think July was already over! I can't believe it flew by so quickly. Also, I thought the shindig was on Saturday, not Friday. Oh well. You can't win 'em all and you can't go to every party. At least I'm getting overtime.

That brings me to tomorrow. Because of circumstances beyond the control of the company, there was a lot of lost time this week. The whole first shift was sent home for half the day and now, to make up for it, we need to work Saturday. So since I'm filling in for Chris, who is on vacation today, I have to be here tomorrow, too! Oh well, like I said (more like tried to reassure myself), I'll be getting some overtime pay.

But the story doesn't end there. This second shift thing brought me more pain than I thought it would. See, I was running late to get here tonight (insert sarcastic "That never happens!" here) and going 65 in a 55. Then I saw him. The policia. He did a U-ie and flipped on the bubble gums (my dad always says that) as I tried frantically to slow down. Then I pulled over.



"Dangit Katie, you can't afford another ticket!" I thought as I hiked my top down a little in an attempt to "show a little skin." The officer came. He asked me where I was going. He asked me if I was late. He took my liscense and insurance card. He went to the police car. He came back.

I waited, barely breathing.

Then he said, "Let's make a deal. You don't speed anymore, and I won't pull you over any more."

I quickly agreed to this wonderful deal (I heard a small voice in the back of my mind say, "Not speed again? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! SURE!") But I ignored that voice. I'm so glad I didn't get another ticket. I just got one two weeks ago. I'm sure it's fate, since I have been bragging about my constant speeding and how I never get picked up and how I haven't had a ticket since 2004... The speeding gods seek revenge.

Well, believe it or not, I do actually have some work to do, so I think I'll get to that now. I hope everybody is having fun out there in Friday-land...

1 comment:

Raine said...

I guess you didnt knock on wood when you said you never get tickets...

Related Posts with Thumbnails