Saturday, July 11, 2009

we've digressed


It seems as though we humans don't interact the way we used to. This generation is different--this technilogical era. And I'm not saying that technology is bad. Heck, I love it just as much as the next person, maybe even more! But I guess it seems like the balance is gone.

For instance, I feel like my roommates and I practice "parallel play" which is what infants do when they "play" together. They really do not play together as much as they play along side one another. They sit there in the same room, side by side, with separate toys doing separate things. My roomies sit together in the same room, side by side, with separate laptops surfing separate webpages...

We've returned to infancy.

Maybe that's the reason we're still all single.

And really, I'm not sure I actually remember how to get together with people and do human things. I think I almost prefer this "psuedo-relationship" found on the wonderful web of awesomeness (aka world wide web). Maybe it's less of a risk. It's hard enough opening yourself to scrutinization on the internet let alone having to face it from real, live, face-to-face people.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not socially awkward (unless it's a ridiculously stunning guapo man) or plagued by anxiety attacks or anything like that. It's just a lot harder to schedule thigns and get together with people and everything than it is to plop down in front of my computer and live my life out through the shiny glamour of cyber-space.

But enough! I'm tired of psuedo-life. I want to do something real. That's why I'm so excited about going back to school (I can't believe I just said that). But of course, on the other hand, there definately is something to be said for some me-time after spending the entire work-week giving of myself and helping people with endless, countless problems/needs (that's what happens when you are an administrative assistant in human resources at a large factory).

So tell me what you think... Do you ever feel like you are spending your life in "parallel play" mode? Has technology taken away from our ability to interact on a physical, human level? COMMENT!!! or else!!!! buwahahahahaha...

2 comments:

Raine said...

I like parallel play. expecially when it consists of me doing something i want to do and ryder coloring. I like coloring too, but sometimes, as an adult, Id rather do something more, you know, grown up. And thats pretty much where my human interaction ends :D

la aventurista said...

Definitely!! There is a lot of truth to this post, I think we all get sucked into it. It's so much easier to send someone a quick text and have that be the extent of the communication and forego the facial expressions, voice inflections, etc. that go with more traditional communication. I agree that it can take away from our ability to interact on a regular "human level" like you said...not good! I'm trying to be less tied to my technology and more tied to the people I care about...

Related Posts with Thumbnails