Monday, June 29, 2009

totally awkward tuesday

Totally Awkward Tuesday is the brilliant idea of Tova Darling which you can find at TheSecret Life of Tova Darling. This is my first t.a.t. and I have been wracking my mind for awkward situations for weeks now so that I too could participate in the fun. Hope you enjoy, and be sure to comment!

So this story all starts with a blind date. I know, perfect recipe for an awkward situation. First, we were set up by a coworker of mine. He said he had a brother my age, a nice guy with a good job. So... I gave him my number.

Brian (that's what we'll call him) called me a few days later. We were going to go out for coffee... very low key, right? What is the harm in a coffee date? Well, that would have been great, except that Brian calls me on the big day and tells me the coffee shop he wanted to go to would be closed by the time I got off work. So we had to do the actual "out to dinner" date.

Gulp.

I walked into the restaurant where we were to meet. Hmmmm... It was an old people restaurant! Our collective age was still younger than the median age there. Anyway, Brian was already there and the first thing that I noticed about him was that he was a big guy! I'm not necessarily saying that he's fat, I'm just sayin BIG. Like 6'5" or so. Oh, and he was a little on the hefty side.

Well, we got to talking (at least I didn't have a problem with that). That's when things took a turn for the worse. I realized that Brian had a mental checklist. He was going through, point by point. It was... an interview... for the position of potential wife. This freaked me out. Here are some of his questions:

-What do you like to do in your free time? (not a weird question, but that is an exact quote)
-Where do you see yourself in the future?
-What are your goals?
-Do you like kids? (not in so many words)
And last but not least:

-Do you cook?

Ok, it was a little more subtle than that, but not much. He asked what kinds of foods I would make if I was just cooking for myself. I told him mac and cheese. He said "Check waiter." Well, he at least thought it. I could hear his thoughts, seriously.

But not only did he interview me, he also was sure to sell himself well. Here are some statements from Brian:

-I like to take the opportunity to enjoy the fresh air riding my Harley Davidson motorcycle. (quote)
-I enjoy taking care of my property.
-I like to spend time with my neices and nephews.
-I like to eat. (that was the gist)
-I own a house.
-I have a good job.

And you know I was scared. This man was looking for a wife. I was not looking to be his wife. I was also weirded out at the text message he sent me afterward.

"I had a good time today. You are a very lovely young lady."

We never went out again. I'm pretty sure I didn't pass the interview. And even if I had, I don't think I would have accepted the position.

Be sure to comment on my first t.a.t. This one was a little choppy, I know. Well, there's a first time for everything. You too can participate. Check out Secret Life of Tova Darling.

2 comments:

Ebony said...

Wow. Blind dates can be incredidbly awkward. Bless that man's heart...at least you knew what his intentions were. But yeah, I would totally not want to go out with him again.

Winna said...

HA HA Good story. even without the interview questions, why do people have to be so formal??

"I had a good time today. You are a very lovely young lady."

It is a date! Like the previous commenter said, at least you knew his intentions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails